2009-02-19

Or, Maybe It Was Schindler's Fist...

This rounds off Davus' questions then -

3. What do you think of humanity's curious habit of taking drugs in all their wonderful colours? Penny for your thoughts on the issue.


I'm trying hard not answer this with the arrogant 'why not?' that first popped up in my head. When I think of it, I've probably concerned myself more with the thought of why people
don't want to do drugs, in which case the answer gets tangled up in the matter of legality - I've never got round to wondering about why people would do them in the first place.
As far as I can tell, reasons for that initial choice to take drugs can be lumped into two general categories. First off, there are those that turn to drugs as a means of self-medication, by which I include those that see drugs as an escape from a bad situation, whatever that may be. Then there's those that do it for altogether more recreational purposes, by which I include those that are just curious, and those that do it because someone else is doing it.

Now, the reasons for the first group's choices are pretty much self-explanatory, but the second group isn't so clear. Well, apart from the ones just trying to be cool; they're just fudds. And those that are just curious, good on them - that's almost reason enough for me anyway.

However, for those that have got their drugs of choice and avoided any serious addiction to them - I'm including all sorts, alcohol, caffeine - and have decided 'yeah, this'll do me good to do again...', that's the curious bit.

Well, surely its simply the fact that they benefit on whatever scale from the effects of the drug, be it the merely the enjoyment of the effect it has on mind or body.

Does morality have to come into it at all? Nah, don't think so. If anything, being used in a responsible manner (it's doing no one else any harm, and its not an addiction), it can only be a good thing, seeing as its providing personal happiness, which has got to count for something. Sure, an addiction would provide personal happiness; only in the short-term though.

Somewhat on the topic, I just want to share a word I learned recently. The Balinese word Nadi, (pronounced NOD-ee) which means 'to temporarily inhabit another dimension', is a word that would do well to be used more prolifically. In this book, it is suggested that words such as 'trance' have developed a bad reputation, having associated the word with "a state of stupor or hypnotic enslavement, of total dissolution of will". Yet it is noted that great minds of art and science have admitted that some of their greatest works have been borne from a trance. Nadi, connotes a beneficial variety of trance, a daydream where you return bearing gifts. I feel this is an important sentiment when trying to understand the ever-fascinating experience (so I've heard anyway) of doing weed, for example.

5. When was the last time you cried and why? If you're not comfortable answering this, then when was the last time you felt truly sad and why?

Genuinely, the last time I cried was most likely in front of a film. Some people scoff at that, but hey, a film is engineered to evoke certain emotional responses, and I watch good films. Unfortunately, I can't remember for certain which film it was, as it was a while ago. Diving Bell And The Butterfly perhaps. That or Full Metal Jackoff.

That's likely not the answer you were looking for though. So in answer to when was I last truly sad. Again, I'm not all that sure. But you can bet on it being something to do with my Dad. Man, do we not get along...

No comments:

Post a Comment